Friday, February 4, 2011

Johnny Mop

In one of the main buildings at Eastern Washington University there are about 18 bathrooms. Of those 18 bathrooms, I have cleaned each one at least once.

Cleaning a bathroom takes more than you would think. I used to be one of those people who would have to go to the bathroom and rush to the nearest one, expecting it to be open, only to find the "closed for cleaning" sign hanging on the door. My head would drop, my body would threaten to release its contents on the ground, and I would be off in search of the next closest restroom. I would be frustrated with the people who inconvenienced me. I had to use the bathroom!

Now, I understand. Cleaning a bathroom is dirty work, and instead of admonishing those poor souls, I should have been thankful for their work!

Have you ever stepped into a bathroom stall only to find the seat smeared with poo? Custodians clean that poo.

Have you ever dropped something dirty on the floor and left it there?
Custodians pick that dirty something up.

I'm squeamish just thinking about the state of the restrooms I have cleaned thus far (and it is only day four!).

It isn't that I mind cleaning up after people. Actually, the work is instantly satisfying and I really enjoy it. I am so thankful that I am getting the hours I am, paid the amount I am, and have a chance to get to know Eastern and the people who work here.

I am really hoping that I will be hired on full time. My lead manager seems to like me and I do try to do the best I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment