Saturday, August 6, 2011

Fall Classes

I have been working towards taking the EMT-B course at SCC this fall. My initial intention was to be able to get a job at a hospital or with an ambulatory company so I don't have to work at Eastern anymore. My five dollar classes are awesome, but I hate cleaning for a living. I want to be doing something that actually helps people.

Traveling to another country has been on my heart a lot lately too. I am now more motivated to get my EMT certification so I can travel to another country and help out for a summer. I am considering this program: http://www.abroaderview.org/volunteers/ghana/ . There is also one in Tanzania that looks promising.

My heart absolutely breaks when I spend too much time thinking about the sick and poor in the world without basic access to things like good nutrition and clean water. I am well aware that my own country is suffering too and there are people that are more than willing to jump up and tell me that I should stay here and help the sick and poor in my own country. Honestly, I don't know that I could do that with a good conscience. After all, I genuinely believe that it is my purpose to go around the world helping those who need it, possibly even forsaking family, relationships, etc. for God and the healing that he can do through the education I will receive. I know to a lot of people that sounds crazy, but to me, it feels right, like when you lay in your own bed after a long trip away from home. Helping other people is my home. It is my warm bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment