Thursday, January 27, 2011

I like to believe...

Well, honestly, we ALL like to believe that we are good enough to be hired. I really think I am good enough to be hired, at least for the positions that I apply for.

It makes a person uncomfortable to think that they may not be good enough to meet the standard of what a business is looking for. Personally, I think that my customer service skills, my people passion, my quick learning ability and my computer skills make me an excellent candidate for any basic receptionist position at the least. But, SURPRISE, so does everyone else! So it comes down to a resume and a cover letter and a killer interview. Too bad I get really nervous at interviews.

My problem is although I tend to think I am good enough I also always think that there is someone better qualified for the position. That is typically what happens when I apply since I do not have a college degree. The Catch-22 is that I sort of need a job to be able to go to college to be able to obtain that college degree. So cut a girl some slack, corporations of the world! Give a girl a chance to succeed!

I sound like I am whining. I probably am.

It isn't that I am not confident. I know that given any position - whether it be in a medical office as a CNA, or a custodian at the PUB, or a teller at a bank, or a sales associate at a retail store that I would do an excellent job. My passion goes into whatever I am tasked with and I really do try to become very proficient at what I do. Most determined people are like that.

Since I am willing to do anything now (so long as it doesn't require me to compromise my morals/values/ethics etc.) I have been looking at all sorts of job opportunities. I am pleasantly surprised by what is available and horribly discouraged by the amount of places who will not even glance at what I have to offer because I am young and have not graduated from college yet. What they fail to see is someone who has a passion for success and that their business is going to benefit from that passion even if it requires a little training in the beginning. Does anyone else feel this?

*Disclaimer* My rant is only happening because I am in the midst of a job search. Sorry if you were expecting something grand and intellectual!

No comments:

Post a Comment